Mark W. Lewis has written a great article on the Top 10 Lies told to Beginning Artists and Designers. I think I’ve heard a variation of every single one. Below is the list… be sure to visit his original article where he goes into more detail on each item.
- “Do this one cheap (or free) and we’ll make it up on the next one.”
- “We never pay a cent until we see the final product.”
- “Do this for us and you’ll get great exposure! The jobs will just pour in!”
- On looking at sketches or concepts: “Well, we aren’t sure if we want to use you yet, but leave your material here so I can talk to my partner/investor/wife/clergy.”
- “Well, the job isn’t CANCELLED, just delayed. Keep the account open and we’ll continue in a month or two.”
- “Contract? We don’t need no stinking contact! Aren’t we friends?”
- “Send me a bill after the work goes to press.”
- “The last guy did it for XXX dollars.”
- “Our budget is XXX dollars, firm.
- “We are having financial problems. Give us the work, we’ll make some money and then we’ll pay you.”
All of the above are huge red flags so if you experience any or all, don’t walk away…. RUN.